Honestly – As I sit typing this (an unscheduled writing that just popped into my head now) I haven’t completely decided if I will or not. Or if I want to tell you guys publicly if I am or not. My number one reason to not do advent this year – I’m tired of failing.
I have lofty ideas to do great things. I start… then it fizzles. And I feel like I’ve failed.
Remember this? The last book we read was 1 Corinthians. And there were plenty of holes getting there. And yes, we tried – and failed – advent before.
This is such a busy season. I just don’t know if I can pull it off.
1. Facebook pressure. I see everyone on Facebook or my blogger friends posting about how their family loves advent time. I feel pressure to create that experience for my family.
2. It looks good to others. As a leader in our church children’s ministry, it’s something I should do. Also, I blog. If I blog about advent and people follow it, they’ll think I’m a cool, spiritual mom.
3. It feels spiritual. Why not do something that is spiritual? If it is only a work, not something God has placed on my heart – it is in vain.
What about these reasons?
1. I want to get closer to the end. We started a book last year for advent. Even though we didn’t get very far, it was precious time. I really want to see if we can do it, or at least get farther this time!
2. The character is calling to me. Do you ever read a book and keep thinking about the character as a friend that you abandoned somewhere? I feel like I left the little boy in a cave somewhere. He’s stuck there until I save him by reading the book. (Some of you are calling me crazy and some are shouting “YES! Go save him!” because you get me.)
3. My kids want to.
4. God keeps placing it on my heart. He knows I struggle with doing these types of things daily. He knows we start things that don’t end as we intend them to. He knows… and it’s ok. There is no condemnation in our struggles, only God cheering us on to do more for Him. Through Him we can do this.
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
As soon as I get to number 4, everything stops. And falls into place. First of all, I release myself from the first set of responses.
I’m not doing this for others.
I’m not doing this because of others.
I’m doing this because God put it on my heart and I desire the precious time with my family.
I may or may not blog about it. It’s for me, not you. (But I’ll probably Instagram it…)
So – to those of you out there considering wether or not to do advent – It’s not to late to start! But first, look at the why and decide the how. Release yourself from outside pressures and get down to if it’s something God placed on your heart and if it’s something that would bless your family or not. This might not be the year. And that’s OK.
Are you doing advent or not? Why? I’d love to hear in the comments!